AGAIN: sharing the data

Wood administrator@nabonidus.org
Thu Oct 5 16:18:33 CEST 2006

Sharing Data is an extremely important issue. In my opinion the value gained
far outways the complications which arise when trying to standardise data,
methods etc. If you are wanting to move to a more practical level you should
have a look at www.nabonidus.org. It is an evolving website for the storage,
management, manipulation and publication of excavation data. It is totally
free and we think far advanced of any data recording system in use on any
academic or commercial excavation today.

The reason for offering Nabonidus to the archaeological community is that we
believe a system such as this could change archaeological excavation and
research across the world. It is currently used by the Pompeii
Archaeological Research Project: Porta Stabia run by the University of
Michigan and Stanford University and has the capacity to be used by 1000?s
of excavations. All data is secure and private, accessible and malleable and
the system can be adapted to any excavation?s needs. Nabonidus saves
enormous amounts of work and time for archaeologists both onsite and during
post excavation research. Even if you are currently using a database for
your excavation, all information can be easily imported from this into the
Nabonidus system. Please if you have the time; take a look at the website
and at the demonstration excavations and feel free to experiment. There is a
PDF attached with more information.

Nabonidus is produced on an entirely voluntary basis. It has been built by
archaeologists for archaeologists so if you have any questions or
contributions please get in touch at administrator@nabonidus.org ? your
suggestions will be incorporated into the next build.

This is the blurb from our website - after reading these threads I am glad
to see that others are considering and wanting to address the issue of
archaoelogical data sharing. Nabonidus gives you the choice of making your
data public or private so prior to publication you could keep it private if
wished then expose it all for anyone to look at.

Please have a look, we would be happy to hear from anyone. thanks

Sam Wood