AGAIN: sharing the data

Giancarlo Macchi macchi@unisi.it
Sat Oct 7 10:27:12 CEST 2006

After 2 week it seems that only Chris Puttick is willing to
share his own archaeological data.
So I ask again, and I will add a 4th question:

a) How many of you are willing to share their own data?
b) How many of you are able to share their own data?
c) What kind of data would you eventually share with the community?
   everything? a part of it? only the part related with your published
   models or theories?
d) How many of you are interested in the archaeological data sharing issue
   but at this time do not have no/enough data to share but in the future...

Listen, I do not think that the solution would be a complex
one. What do we need here?  1) a well documented and shared metadata
standard. 2) any kind of repository administrator system. I do not
think that any database system will work. 3) a mirror network to
ensure data survival, and that's all.

OK we can wait and see if someone else might do the job for
us. But we already know that something like this is not going
to happen.

I do not think that Nabonidus, eDNA or OpenContext may be a solution for the
 original "data sharing" issue here [f(x) -> V] . At the same time I do not
think that any national government database like those of the UK (ADS for
instance) address the  problem of scientific data availability.
This kind of systems are CRM oriented. So basically they keep track
of sites or archaeological entities as absolute assertions. Scientifically
speaking I need instead the exact copy of the datasets my colleague has
used. Has he changed/corrected/modieid the original CRM file?

Giancarlo