AGAIN: sharing the data

Stefano Costa steko@iosa.it
Mon Sep 25 10:20:21 CEST 2006

Il giorno dom, 24/09/2006 alle 23.32 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz ha scritto:

> Obviously, we make choices when we record archaeological
> data - but within the current norms agreed by our peers.

Yes, and these norms are different in each country (at least). There are
countries where norms are just common sense, and others where norms come
from government officers.

> The important thing, presumably, is a) to articulate and
> document those choices; and b) once you are aware
> of having collected some data, not to throw it
> away without a similar process of articulation and
> documentation. If we don't record our processes,
> we are not scientists any more.

I agree 100% with you. But, in your professional experience, how many
people do like that? Moreover, how many just don't care about "being
scientists"?

--
Stefano Costa
http://www.iosa.it Software Open Source per l'Archeologia