Boot ArcheOS in text mode - -

Ricardo Gaidão caioviator@yahoo.com.br
Fri Apr 13 15:51:51 CEST 2012

Currently I'm trying to install ArcheOS Theodoric in a old laptop. Just want do discover if
ArcheOS is a good choice for old machines and if those can still be used in practical archaeological projects. In theory they should, specially
if you aren't planing using the machine to handle complex 3D model
calculation.

Unfortunately I faced a problem. The computer graphic card (ATI Radeon Mobility 9700) is not compatible with Debian last versions (ergo not compatible with
OS like Ubuntu or ArcheOS - yes I tried).

When I run ArcheOS live dvd the system loads correctly but don't recognize
the graphic card and the screen turn all white. When I install the
system using graphic or text installers dvd options the same problem occurs, because ArcheOS installs GNOME graphic interface by default.

The problem is that GNOME can only work correctly after you install the
necessary hardware drivers, but at the same time don't let you do this,
because prevents the access to screen display providing only a blank
screen (ALT+CTRL+F1 also don't work).
I only figure three options to solve this:

OPTION
1) The simple option. To edit GRUB command line during system booting
to don't run a graphic interface. After the system boot in text mode you
can install all the necessary hardware drivers.

I read sources
saying that this can be done adding info to GRUB forcing the system to
boot in runlevel=3. But I couldn't figure where and how to add this
option in ArcheOS
grub.

http://www.brunolinux.com/05-Configuring_Your_System/Grub_boot_runlevel-3.html

OPTION
2) The complex option. Install the system without X11 (no graphics).
After the system boot in text mode, you can install all the necessary
hardware drivers and GNOME from terminal.

I tried this option but apparently ArcheOS installer don't provide, like
Debian installers,  the option to install the system without graphics
(X11).

OPTION 3) Another complex option. Install Debian OS without graphics (X11). After the system boot for the first time install all the necessary hardware drivers and GNOME from terminal. Boot the system already in
graphic mode and convert Debian to an ArcheOS system using the "archeos-system” metapackage, created by Fabrizio Furnari.

http://vai.uibk.ac.at/dadp/doku.php?id=archeos_v4convert_howto_en

I tried this option and apparently it works. But converting Debian to
ArcheOS in this particular case is just like using a cannon to kill a
fly.

FINAL SUGGESTIONS:

1) Providing ArcheOS grub menu option (or instructions) to boot in text
mode. This can also be useful in other cases, like incorrect graphic
configuration (i.e. choosing incorrect screen resolution) or file
corruption that prevent the user to access correct screen display.

2) Adding an advanced option to ArcheOS installer (similar to Debian), to install ArcheOS without graphics.