[ArcheOS] Proposte - Vector rendering engine for Blender

Luca Bezzi luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Mer 12 Maggio 2010 18:47:07 CEST

Hi Ricardo,

I checked the link of these two software. They look great! They reguard something that was missing in the semi-automatic
archaeological draw of artifacts.

Actually with Simone Cavalieri (I don't know if he is inside the maling list and can read this email...) and Alessandro, i worked
to defin a way to automatically draw artifacts starting from rectified images (I guess the presentation will be soon online).
Anyway there is a way to do more or less the same things starting from 3d objects.

Regarding 2D the workflow is
1 take a picture
2 rectify the picture
3 manually draw (vector) the artifact inside a GIS (following the rectified image) or automatically try to defin it with graphical
filter (e.g. canny)
4 do automatically the sahdow (with stippling) using the software stippler on the image
5 eventually take the section (automatically, if possible)

Regaring 3d the worklow could be
1 record the object (scan, SFM, ecc...)
2 define the borders (with the software you proposed)
3 do automatically the shadow with another stippling algorithm (by now I don't remember the name, but ther should be already a
software to do this; I guess Simone is in contact with the authors and they should release it as FLOSS)

If you are interested, we can try to work on it all together and, if we get positive result, insert these software in ArcheOS.

Ciao.

Luca Bezzi

Arc-Team
Archaeology & Free Software