[ArcheOS] Archaeological DB and webgis

luca luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Dom 13 Mar 2011 10:57:04 CET

Hi Ricardo,
you are absolutely right. My problem about this topic is that normally i
draw myself the matrix with Inkscape (generally at the end of the entire
workflow in the archaeological excavation). I do this way because i
tired some specific FLOSS to draw diagrams, but they were too rigid:
drawing the matrix i often reached a complexity that was too much for
such software; another problem was that i was continuously correcting
the matrix till the final version, than i was simplifying everything
(and these operations were simpler, for me, inside a vector graphic
software). However is long that i don't try anymore a diagram software
and maybe now there will be one specific for archaeology.

Regarding the links you report, i just gave a fast look:

Stratify looks like an interesting software. Actually the only problem
is that it is for Windows. I cannot try it, because up to now i dont
have a Windows version on my laptop (not even in virtual machine...). If
someone can try it and report her/his impression, if the feedback is
positive, we could contact the author and see if it would be possible to
write a Linux version for ArcheOS.

Graphviz looks like one of the software for diagram i tested and that
gave me the problem i reported before. Anyway, since is long i did not
try anymore to draw a matrix with such a program, i can do some more
test (it could always be a starting point to further develop a more
specific archaeological software).

STRAT tool looks like a very interesting software, thanks for the link!.
I entered this website: http://dea.brunel.ac.uk/project/murale/strat.htm
It seems that the application is for windows, but i really would like to
test it. Maybe we can contact the authors and ask for datail of the
license and if it is possible to write a version for Linux. Anyway we
can also see if it is working in Wine by now. What do you think?

Ciao.