[Tech] Asus A7V333 and linux with ide-dma

Pongrácz István Pongraczi@falcon.hu
Ven 9 Ago 2002 08:47:57 CEST

Hi there!

I use a mb like $Subject.
It has onboard raid and firewire controllers.

I use linux as desktop os (Mandrake 8.2 and a newly semi-installed debian woody).
I found that, I can't switch to on the dma access of HDDs.
I have 3 HDDs and 2 CDs.
ide0: hda, hdb
ide1: hdc, hdd (ide-scsi both)
ide2: -, hdf
ide3: -, -

When I start MDK 8.2 with linux kernel 2.4.18-8.1mdk, hdf automaticly use dma access. With 2.4.18-6mdk can't use dma for hdf.
Both situation, ide0 and ide1 can't use dma, maybe due to that, VP_IDE didn't know the southbridge (ide controller).

I try to set on and off in the bios: Plug & Play OS and some other things, but results are indipendent.
I try to compile a new kernel, but it failed until now. Same problem (I will try some times later).

I can attach a lot of text files, which contains (I hope) everything, which is interesting in this situation (dmesg and a lot of other system things).

Can you recommend something?

Best regards,

István Pongrácz
pongraczi@falcon.hu