[FoLUG] Che si fa'? :-\

Paolo Palmieri palmaway@gmx.it
Mar 31 Gen 2006 03:12:02 CET

> Un altro esempio classico è splinder, fatto con una modifica di
> drupal. Io pensavo che fosse obbligatorio per loro distribuire il
> codice sorgente delle modifiche, e ne feci richiesta. Io, però, non
> ero un loro cliente, non avevo ricevuto il codice ed era loro
> sacrosanto diritto non darmi le modifiche.

Interessante questione. Non conoscevo questi dettagli. In ogni caso qui
la qestione è aperta, e sembra che la nuova licenza chiarirà questo
punto, e in quel momento anche Splinder dovrà rilasciare il sorgente
(se, come credo, Drupal è stato rilasciato con la dicitura "GPL 2.0 and
any later version").

Riporto il testo dalle FAQ ufficiali della GNU, potrebbe interessare a
qualcuno.

- A company is running a modified version of a GPL'ed program on a web
site. Does the GPL say they must release their modified sources?

The GPL permits anyone to make a modified version and use it without
ever distributing it to others. What this company is doing is a special
case of that. Therefore, the company does not have to release the
modified sources.
It is essential for people to have the freedom to make modifications and
use them privately, without ever publishing those modifications.
However, putting the program on a server machine for the public to talk
to is hardly "private" use, so it would be legitimate to require release
of the source code in that special case. We are thinking about doing
something like this in GPL version 3, but we don't have precise wording
in mind yet.
In the mean time, you might want to use the Affero GPL for programs
designed for network server use.

Paolo