[gpm]mixing [im]ps2 + imps2 -> raw -> X

Ben Low ben@titr.uow.edu.au
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:09:22 +1100 (EST)

Hello,

What does raw repeat mode mean when using multiple mice?

I was pleased to see that 1.20.0 added 'repeat' support for imps2, just
what I was waiting for to use on a laptop (touchpad (/dev/psaux) + external
USB mouse (/dev/input/mice)). (So far I've been using gpm with the pad
only, and adding the USB mouse under X via an additional input stanza. It's
nice to have the "real" mouse on the console too - touchpads just don't
cut it :-)

At first I expected to use
 gpm -m /dev/psaux -t imps2 -M -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2 -Rraw

to mirror what I had done in the single mouse case. This kind of worked:
the console seems fine, both mice working as expected; under X (XF4.1.0.1),
with the mouse procotol set to imps/2, the USB mouse works fine, but the
touchpad doesn't: when in use, the cursor keeps 'resetting' to the lower
left corner, seemingly whenever I exceed some speed limit. i.e. I can
*slowly* drag my finger across the pad and the cursor follows, I can 'click'
(tap), etc, all ok. But if I speed up the finger movement, or reposition my
finger on the pad, the cursor gets mad at me and storms off to the corner
for a sulk. The USB mouse tracks ok at all speeds.

(Note this 'reset' behaviour is *not* like what happens when you get a
protocol mismatch; the cursor can be moved around the screen, select
things, etc, but frequently randomly skips back to the corner.)

Repeating as imps2 works fine for both mice:
 gpm -m /dev/psaux -t imps2 -M -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2 -Rimps2

as does using the (proper?) ps2 protocol for the touchpad:
 gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -M -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2 -Rimps2

Regards,

--
Ben Low
There is far too much law for those who can afford it and far too little