[gpm] flaky movement and buttons when using both stick and touchpad
Fri Nov 21 11:48:48 CET 2003
i have an IBM Thinkpad R40 with an UltraNav (trackpoint stick w/ 3
buttons and touchpad w/ 2 buttons)
i wanted to be able to use both in X so i run gpm as a repeater like so:
/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/misc/psaux -t synps2 -Rps2 -3 -p
everything works great, except for the following flaky behaviors:
1. sooner or later, when tapping the touchpad, the pointer will move off
in a random direction for a (seemingly) random distance
2. following this, the touchpad buttons do not work, but pressing them
causes the pointer to move again in the same direction for some
distance. the stick buttons work but also cause this pointer motion.
3. also, when using the stick there is a bias for the pointer to move in
the same direction as the random movement described above. iow, the
pointer will go in that direction when pressing lightly on the stick in
the opposite direction.
4. sometimes while moving the pointer with the touchpad and holding down
a stick button, the system thinks i have released the stick button but
i'm still holding it down.
5. the touchpad buttons work again after moving the pointer with the
touchpad. sometimes it takes a few tries though. then the random
movements stop occurring, until you use the stick or a stick button or
again tap the touchpad just right.
6. restarting gpm is the only way to get completely back to normal.
as you can probably imagine, these behaviors become quite irksome after
a while ;) .. especially if other people try to use my laptop who aren't
used to it. i have lived with it for a few months and now i would
dearly like to see it fixed. i'm willing to hack on this with some help
as i am not an experienced C programmer.
i've attached my gpm-syn.conf.
thanks for gpm! even in my case it's still better than living without a
middle mouse button!
Tavin Cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
-------------- next part --------------
More information about the gpm