j820, the saga

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Thu Apr 1 17:12:50 CEST 2004

OK, so after installing the 3.3.2 toolchain and making a clean install,
I got a bootimage working on my actual home computer (was doing same
on my parents').

* I added flag -N to ld so as to save 32KiB of bootimage size.
 Thanks to zImage and ramdiskimage.gz, we now have a 2.2MiB bootimage
 instead of the old 4 odd MiB bootimage.

* echo Contrast=NNN > /proc/j820 fux0rs the contrast setting in a random
 way (most of the time to 208). The "correct" setting 147 sometimes appears,
 but this is seldom the case.

* dpkg refuses to install over NFS unless you symlink /var/lib/dpkg/lock
 to a file on a local filesystem that has locks.

* this 32MB CF isn't found by the kernel (voltage issues?).

* tmpfs doesn't seem to work :(

* I ended up mounting an old 8MB CF card under /mnt/mem so as to have
 the dpkg lock.

* I intend to compile a no-X FSF emacs when I have time, so as to turn
 my machine even with only a 32MB CF (the other one, that works)
 into an emacs+clisp editing+coding machine. Sigh.

Democracy is but government of the busy, by the bully, for the bossy.
	-- Arthur Seldon, "The Dilemma of Democracy"