latest attempts

Matan Ziv-Av matan@svgalib.org
Sat Jul 31 17:35:58 CEST 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> The USB code in current 2.4 (old patch by Matan)
> seems to not crash the kernel, but it cannot see as usb-storage
> my newfangled MP3 player that is otherwise seen by a 2.4.21 i386 kernel.
> Darn.

I'll try to find the differences between you kernel (is it exactly as in
CVS?) and mine, since usb-storage works for me. Only usb networking is
problematic.

> The PCMCIA code in current 2.6 doesn't work, but doesn't crash
> the kernel anymore (at least, not immediately).

Again, works for me - CF, pcnet_cs, serial_cs, airo_cs. Here's a patch
relative to linux-2.6.7. I intend to follow the linus kernel, rather
than handhelds kernel. Maybe even start feeding changes upstream
(pcmcia, rmk, input).

http://www.arava.co.il/matan/jornada820/2.6.7-my4.gz

I still have no solution for the USB problem, and I tried all that I can
think of. If anyone else'd like to look at this, I think it could be
useful, in case I missed something really obvious.

> I sent my CF disk for exchange once again, and will have it in september.

Maybe you should look into getting a PCMCIA - SD adapter, since SD (or
MMC) do wear leveling in hardware, so failures are much less likely.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         matan@svgalib.org