CHOST for j820?

Ian Jordan immolo@recallhosting.com
Tue Aug 9 22:45:05 CEST 2005

Faré wrote:

>On 09/08/05, Ian Jordan <immolo@recallhosting.com> wrote:
>

>>Yeah the CHOST is for gcc and I was using Gentoo to build the system as
>>I could optimize it for the hardware and seeing we all use the same
>>hardware it would be fast and easy to transfer to the group, but I will
>>look at some other options and see where it takes me.
>>

>I'd go for arm-j820-linux-uclibc, or arm-handheld-linux-uclibc but you
>could use arm-unknown-linux-uclibc or armv4l-unknown-linux-uclibc
>should be quite OK. After all, once the kernel is booted, there is
>little machine-dependent stuff left, and you'd be optimizing for the
>sa1100 with MMU enabled.
>
>Googling for XEmacs and uclibc, apparently this guy did build XEmacs
>with uclibc and Gentoo:
>  http://www.geocities.com/robm351/uclibc/
>
>Note that unless you're a complete masochist, you'll probably want to
>cross-compile and/or be able to make good use of distcc and ccache. A
>statically compiled qemu-arm is your friend, too (see my mkxdeb script
>for instructions on how to make one on debian, YMMV).
>
>[ François-René ÐVB Rideau | Reflection&Cybernethics | http://fare.tunes.org ]
>Question:  How many Intel/Microsoft executives does it take to screw in a
>light bulb?
>

>Answer:  None, they simply make darkness an industry standard.

Yes I have a crosscompiler going I did once compile libpng on my j820
and that took 30mins :P anyway my gentoo based system is basicly a very
min base install which just boots into busybox for now and I am
currently installing qemu to test it out but while that is happening I
am  looking at buildroot to see if it could do a simlar thing with less
effort.

Ian