more j820 hacking, not many fruits

Matan Ziv-Av matan@svgalib.org
Sat May 14 22:45:29 CEST 2005

On Sat, 14 May 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Faré wrote:

> Dear j820 hackers,
>
> I was sick of wasting time on the moribund 2.4 kernel, so I did the
> stubborn job of getting the j820-26 to compile with upstream kernel
> 2.6.11.9 in the unhh branch. But I must have done something very wrong
> early on, because I die before I get to the fb console. I gotta find
> my serial cable before I may do more.

As I wrote already - I got 2.6.7 to work (including some patches from
hh/your cvs). The patch relative to clean 2.6.7 is not huge:
http://www.arava.co.il/matan/jornada820/2.6.7-my4.gz

I could not get any later kernel to boot, even to the stage that it
gives me something on the serial port.
Recently, I tried debugging this issue (by changing printk to write
directly to the serial port), and it seems that the problem appears to
be with MMU initializing.

> NB: beware that the 2.4 kernel in the unhh branch has non-working
> pcmcia, so you'll want separate checkout directories for unhh and
> HEAD. Google for "cvs branches" for help, or read my previous emails.

The CVS does not appear to build. After downloading 2.6.11 and appplying
2.6.11.9 pathc, the compile fails with
  .
  .
  .
patching file net/netrom/nr_in.c
patching file net/xfrm/xfrm_state.c
patching file security/keys/key.c
patching file sound/core/timer.c
patching file sound/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c
cp -fal linux/upstream/kernel26 linux/build/
cp -fal linux/kernel26 linux/build/
cd linux/build/kernel26 && \
cp arch/arm/configs/jornada820_defconfig .config && \
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux- oldconfig && \
( cmp -s .config arch/arm/configs/jornada820_defconfig || \
cat .config > arch/arm/configs/jornada820_defconfig )
cp: cannot stat `arch/arm/configs/jornada820_defconfig': No such file or directory
make: *** [linux/build/kernel26/.config] Error 1

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         matan@svgalib.org