Updating Italian libc translation for ESTALE in glibc

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Mar 18 Apr 2023 15:42:41 CEST

On 4/17/23 17:15, Federico Bruni wrote:

> Il giorno lun 17 apr 2023 alle 22:46:35 +0200, Daniele Forsi <dforsi@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>> Hello Carlos,
>>
>>>  I have an Italian translation for ESTALE that could be used.
>>
>> the translations that you quoted are wrong because they are
>> translating "handle" as "handling"
>>>  msgstr "Gestione del file NFS interrotta"
>>>  msgstr "Gestione file obsoleti"
>>

>> the word "handle" is difficult to translate in this context and I
>> don't know a translation for "stale" in this context better than the
>> one in RHEL6 and RHEL7, however I would use a singular form, so I
>> suggest:
>> msgid "Stale file handle"
>> msgstr "Handle di file obsoleto"
>>
>> I found some hits on search engines for "handle di file" but none for
>> "handle di file obsoleto"
>>

> I think "handle" should be translated.
> There's no Italian translation in Wikipedia:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(computing)
>
> As it's described as an abstract reference to a resource (a file), I would use the translation of reference, that is:
>
> "Riferimento obsoleto al file"

I prefer the first (at least my Argentine brain says it sounds better ;-)).

> "Riferimento al file obsoleto"
>
> Which one sounds better?
> The handle is stale (not the file), right?

Correct, the inode/handle/descriptor is stale, not the file.

The process can reopen the file to refresh the handle.

It would be great to get a translation for this for libc, since ESTALE is
an important error return for filesystem access functions.

Is there anything I can do to support adding a translation for Italian?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.