Fw: TERM EN>IT - vendor

Andrea Celli tp@lists.linux.it
Wed Dec 11 15:21:01 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:41:45 +0100
Francesco Potorti` <pot@softwarelibero.it> wrote:

> >vendor= marchio-dispositivo, sub-vendor=rivenditore/ri-etichettatore
>
> Se le cose stanno così, non va tradotto.  A questo punto è evidente che
> vendor e sub-vendor sono nomi di variabili, per cui vanno lasciate
> invariate.
>
> Se quanto sopra è giusto, quindi, nel glossario va:
>
> (sub-)vendor --> invariato (nomi di campi dispositivi hardware)

Tramite Google ho trovato un esempio e una spiegazione
abbastanza esaurienti:
http://www.ati.com/support/identify/sysinfo.html
http://www.pcisig.com/reflector/msg01956.html

Item    Value
Name  Radeon 7500
PNP Device ID     PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5157&SUBSYS_7146174B&REV_00\000800
Adapter Type         Radeon 7500 (QW) Rev 0, ATI Tech. - Enhanced compatible
Adapter Description     Radeon 7500
Adapter RAM         Not Available
Make a note of the following pieces of information which are displayed:

Name: This is the display adapter name which is also listed in Device Manager.
PNP Device ID: This identification string will verify if you have a product that is
BUILT BY ATI, or POWERED BY ATI. If the Subsystem ID does NOT include a value of "1002"
in it, then the graphics product is likely manufactured by one of our valued
partners and is considered POWERED BY ATI.

NOTE: The PNP Device ID entry in System Information currently combines the Vendor ID, Device ID,
Sub System ID AND Sub Vendor ID into one string. Each ID includes 4 digits.

Example shown above (PNP Device ID PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5157&SUBSYS_7146174B&REV_00\000800):

Can be broken down to:

Vendor ID (VEN_1002) = 1002
Device ID (DEV_5157) = 5157
Sub System ID (SUBSYS_7146174B) = 7146
Sub Vendor ID (SUBSYS_7146174B) = 174B

ATI CustomerCare provides a current POWERED BY ATI Graphics Board Identification
Chart which lists POWERED BY ATI products by Device ID, Sub System ID, and Sub Vendor ID

 In addition, Microsoft (bless their pointy
little heads) have placed extra requirements for logo
certification.  They insist that a PCI agent *must* implement
the sub-vendor and sub-device ID's, so that device drivers
can tell which 'flavor' of a PCI agent they are talking to.

For example, a video board manufacturer decides to use a
popular off-the-shelf PCI video chipset, but adds a
video-in-a-window TV tuner to differentiate his product.
If the original video chipset implements only the chip
manufacturer's Vendor and Device ID's (and they are
permanently 'fixed' in silicon) then a device driver has
no way to find out that the functions 'behind' the
chipset are unique (by using PCI-compliant methods).

By implementing sub-Vendor and sub-Device ID's (and
allowing the board manufacturer to set them somehow
during POST, e.g. from EEROM), then if a device driver
exists for the exact Vendor/Device and sub-Vendor/sub-Device
ID combination, it can be used to drive the board.
Otherwise, a more generic driver that matches
only the Vendor/Device ID's will be used (usually the
installer is prompted before a generic driver is used).

Comunque, dovendo privilegiare la "comprensibilià" della traduzione, credo che
mi comporterò i due modi diversi:
- nella frase di commento "Vendor, Device, Sub Device and Sub Vendor ids"
traduco il meno possibile (and -> e, ids -> ID di)
- nella schermata che descrive il device (es. la scheda grafica)
traduco "Vendor: Ati" con "marca: Ati", ...

cosa ne pensate?

ciao, Andrea